Nature Consortium’s Youth Art Program (YAP) enables some of King County’s most underserved youth to access quality out-of-school programs that augment their education, while also exposing them to artistic, environmental, and cultural experiences that enrich their lives — at absolutely no cost to them. The program aims to increase participants’ artistic skill, advance participants’ environmental learning and awareness, foster positive identity, and increase social competence. Our two anchor locations are based in subsidized public housing communities in Rainier Vista and Yesler Terrace, but we also offer classes on a fee-for-service basis at community centers and libraries around King County.
Winter 2014 (Jan 14 – March 28)
Yesler Community Center (917 E Yesler Way, Seattle)
Garden & Eco Art: (Tuesdays & Thursdays 4-6pm)
Join Nature Consortium, meet other youth in your neighborhood, and learn about art and the environment through cooking, gardening, and art! Students will create fun art projects, work and play in Yesler’s organic garden, and cook and eat delicious treats. Limited spots are available! SHA residents only. Registration is required.
Rainier Vista Neighborhood House (4410 29th Ave S, Seattle)
Eco Art (Wednesdays & Fridays 4-6pm)
Join Nature Consortium, meet other youth in your neighborhood, and learn about art and the environment through art and cooking! Students will create fun art projects, explore cooking and culinary art in the kitchen, and eat delicious treats. Limited spots are available! SHA residents only. Registration is required.
Classes We’ve Offered in the Past
- 2D: Illustration, T-Shirt Design, Murals, Printmaking, Collage, Painting, and Paper Making
- 3D: Jewelry, Mosaics, Ceramics, Kites, Origami, Masks, Toys, Art You Can Eat and Illuminated Creation
- TECH: Photoshop, Illustrator, Web Design, Kinetics, U-Film, Magnetic Levitation and Photography
- WORD: Spokenword, Storytelling, Songwriting, Poetry, Zines and Creative Writing
- MUSIC: African Drumming, Keyboard Recording, Guitar. Piano, Percussion, Music Production & Voice
- MOVEMENT: Martial Arts, Street Dance, Gardening, Hiphop Dance, Theatre, Lion Dance and Capoeria
- View all of our previous class offerings.
Top 10 Skills Children Learn From the Arts
Read the full article by Lisa Phillips in The Washington Post.
- 1. Creativity
- 2. Confidence
- 3. Problem Solving
- 4. Perseverance
- 5. Focus
- 6. Non-Verbal Communication
- 7. Receiving Constructive Feedback
- 8. Collaboration
- 9. Dedication
- 10. Accountability