Nature Consortium’s Youth Art Program (YAP) enables some of King County’s most underserved youth to access quality out-of-school programs that augment their education, while also exposing them to artistic, environmental, and cultural experiences that enrich their lives — at absolutely no cost to them. The program aims to increase participants’ artistic skill, advance participants’ environmental learning and awareness, foster positive identity, and increase social competence. Our two anchor locations are based in subsidized public housing communities in Rainier Vista and Yesler Terrace, but we also offer classes on a fee-for-service basis at community centers and libraries around King County.
Each year, we provide over 300 days of out-of-school programming.
Fall 2013 Schedules
Yesler Community Center
917 E Yesler Way
4520 MLK Jr Way S
|Monday||4-6pm: Organic Gardening||Monday||4:30-6:30pm: Teen Cuisine|
|Tuesday||4-6pm: Garden Eats||Tuesday||4:30-6:30pm: Open Art Studio|
|Wednesday||4-6pm: Open Art Studio||Wednesday||4:30-6:30pm: Open Art Studio
|Thursday||4-6pm: Open Art Studio||Thursday||4:30-6:30pm: Open Art Studio|
4-6pm: Open Art Studio
4:30-6:30pm: African Drumming, Dance, & Song*
Classes We’ve Offered in the Past
- 2D: Illustration, T-Shirt Design, Murals, Printmaking, Collage, Painting, and Paper Making
- 3D: Jewelry, Mosaics, Ceramics, Kites, Origami, Masks, Toys, Art You Can Eat and Illuminated Creation
- TECH: Photoshop, Illustrator, Web Design, Kinetics, U-Film, Magnetic Levitation and Photography
- WORD: Spokenword, Storytelling, Songwriting, Poetry, Zines and Creative Writing
- MUSIC: African Drumming, Keyboard Recording, Guitar. Piano, Percussion, Music Production & Voice
- MOVEMENT: Martial Arts, Street Dance, Gardening, Hiphop Dance, Theatre, Lion Dance and Capoeria
- View all of our previous class offerings.
Top 10 Skills Children Learn From the Arts
Read the full article by Lisa Phillips in The Washington Post.
- 1. Creativity
- 2. Confidence
- 3. Problem Solving
- 4. Perseverance
- 5. Focus
- 6. Non-Verbal Communication
- 7. Receiving Constructive Feedback
- 8. Collaboration
- 9. Dedication
- 10. Accountability