Happy new year!

Today was our first work party back from break and it was a cold one. Thankfully, things managed to warm up a bit once we started with our sheet mulching. It was a small group, but a good one: we mulched 567 sq. ft. After taking a frigid 15 minute break, we got right back into it with initial invasive removal. We removed 1 cu.yd. of hard-to-dig blackberry, and everybody was worn out by the end of the day. Now that’s a good day of work!

12-6-08

It looked like it was going to pour all day Saturday, but the group we had out totally lucked out. We started off our morning with initial removal. We managed to remove 1 cu.yd. of Himalayan blackberry rootballs from the bramble that our friends at University Prep took down the Wednesday before thanksgiving (see 11-26-08). During this, Rosalynn DeRoos came out and played her clarinet for us. As we moved into the afternoon, we began checking plants and laying sheet mulch rings around them. We corrected 60 plants while planting 10 Douglas firs of our own as Tess Morgan sang…

Saturday November 29th

Even though it was the Saturday after Thanksgiving we didn’t take the day off, and our group accomplished a lot. Today we planted 32 Salal and we put mulch rings around them. We also maintained a 300 sq ft area.

November 26th

It turned out to be a beautiful day. We worked at our Cooper Elementary Site today with University Prep. We began the day by removing 10,000 sq ft of invasive Himalayan Blackberry and by staging a 50,000 sq ft area with plants. While we were working we took some time to enjoy the snacks brought by REI. After lunch we began sheet mulching. We split up into two groups and we were able to mulch 1,500 sq ft. Once the mulching was complete we planted 220 Douglas Firs and 220 Salal. while we were planting we listened to music by…

Saturday November 22

We were fortunate and today turned out to be a beautiful day. A large group of volunteers came out and we had to split into two different groups. Altogether we were able to remove 4,000 sq ft of invasive Himalayan Blackberry and maintain 193 ft of trail. (above) youth volunteers holding Himalayan blackberry root ball We planted a total of 567 different plants including: 5 Shore Pines, 60 Nootka Roses, 400 Salals, 102 Sword Ferns, and 6 Willows. Once we finished planting we surrounded the plants with mulch to protect them from weeds. While we were planting or eating we…

First visit to the greenbelt

Today our elementary school students came out for their first visit to the greenbelt. As they arrived, we gave them a history of the greenbelt and an overview of what they would be doing. In giving the history of the site, we explained the bad condition that the greenbelt used to be in. The Himalayan blackberry was so overgrown that it had created a monoculture. We are currently working on improving biodiversity, and as the kids walked through to their work site they gained an appreciation for the restoration efforts thus far. It really looks amazing!We lead them to a…

Saturday November 15th

Today was a beautiful day to work in the green belt. We began the work party with invasive species removal, clearing Himalayan Blackberry and English Ivy from a 3,250 sq ft area. While we were removing invasive species we listened to sailor shanties by Trench Mouth. Once we finished invasive removal we began planting. With the help of the University Child Development School we were able to plant a total of 300 plants including: 19 organ ash, 50 deer ferns, 30 salals, 56 ocean sprays, 75 sword ferns, 15 cedars, 12 willows, 6 Baldhip Roses, 4 Cascaras, and 6 Grand…

Our busy interns

Today we accomplished a few small, but important, tasks. We started by transporting about 80 fern and 6 willow trees down the trail. We split up the group to distribute the work load: a few interns hand-pulled Himalayan blackberry through cardboard over a 4000 sq.ft. area, while the rest of our group worked on trail maintenance by raking organic debris from 2000 ft. of trail (4 ft. wide). This makes the trail more visible and encourages hikers to stay on the trail. If too many people start walking off the trail, the soil could become compacted, thereby putting stress on…

A Very busy Thursday, 11-6-2008

It was a rainy day today but everyone worked hard. We had several groups out today, including University Prep and Blank C&T. The students from University Prep did a lot of work for us; we managed to sheet mulch a 500 sq ft area. The group from Blank C&T began the day with Himalayan blackberry, of which they were able to remove 6,000 sq ft. While we were removing blackberry we listened to Ben Yarges on his shakuhachi. Once we finished removing the blackberry we planted 25 trees including 15 Western Red Cedars and 10 Blue Spruce. We also staked…

GREEN SEATTLE day!!!

We had 59 volunteers come out this Saturday and we were able to get a lot done. We began the day by splitting up into two groups and we removed blackberry from two different sections of the cooper site. All together we removed 6,500 sq ft of invasive Himalayan Blackberry.Once the blackberry was removed we began sheet mulching. First we put down the cardboard and then we formed a bucket brigade to dump mulch on the cardboard. We sheet mulched a total of 2,454 sq ft. While we were mulching we listened to Irish sea shanties by Trench Mouth. Once…

Pages ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20